Pages on asd.gov.au conform to the following privacy guidelines.
Rules binding persons accessing data stored on this site
The staff who operate this site and/or access any of the data referred to above are subject to the Intelligence Services Act 2001 and privacy rules issued by the minister responsible for defence pursuant to the Act. The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) does not apply to ASD with respect to the personal information you submit to or that is collected by this website.
We will only record your email address if you send us a message. It will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it and it will not be added to a mailing list unless you supplied it to us for that reason. It will not be disclosed without your consent.
Information provided by job applicants
All applicants who apply for jobs with ASD via this web site consent to the disclosure of their information to a third-party recruitment consultant. By applying for a position with ASD, you also consent to ASD notifying other members of the National Intelligence Community that you have made such an application. Members of the community are bound by privacy principles similar to those binding ASD.
Website and other data tracking
- measure traffic and visitor behaviour
- understand the impact of our online advertising and social media channels
- use remarketing and audience targeting.
The cookies identify your browser or device, not you personally. No personal information is stored within cookies used by our website.
When you visit this site, the following information is logged:
- the operating system and browser you are using
- your domain name (eg, .com, .au)
- the address of the referring site (the previous site you visited that linked to ours, typically a search engine or social media platform)
- your server’s IP address (the network address of your internet service provider’s server)
- the date and time of your visit
- how you interacted with our website (including pages visited and files downloaded).
The information generated by the cookie may be transmitted to and stored by Facebook, Google or Twitter, who may use this information for the purpose of compiling reports on website activity for us (or advertising agencies engaged to act on our behalf). Demographic and interest reports may be generated including characteristics such as your age, gender and location.
If you prefer not to receive cookies, you can adjust your browser settings. However, you may not be able to use the full functionality of the website.
Links to other sites
This site contains links to other sites. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of other sites.
Rules to protect the privacy of Australians
The minister responsible for ASD is also required to make privacy rules to protect the privacy of Australians.