Apply now for the ASD Internship Program
Are you interested in furthering your knowledge of cyber security, information security or cryptography while gaining valuable workplace experience?
The Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) sponsors an Internship Program for tertiary students studying ICT, cyber or information security, engineering, mathematics or other STEM fields. Internships are undertaken during university summer holidays.
Internships are project-based, relating to current programs or future initiatives such as:
- researching, developing, designing or testing tools or programs for cyber security analysis, development and exploitation
- software vulnerability analysis and auditing, including code analysis, static analysis, fuzzing, reverse engineering and vulnerability research
- contributing to, reviewing and testing current and new information security policies, eg, develop guidance on integrating security into a container-based DevOps software development approach (SecDevOps)
- investigating new directions in cryptography
- performing malware analysis, including static and dynamic binary code review, and web shell analysis.
Students will be engaged on a full-time non-ongoing short-term contract for 3 months at an APS 2-level salary (800K PDF) during university summer holidays.
The Internship Program is run from the ASD Information Security Hub or the new Australian Cyber Security Centre in Canberra.
Eligibility and selection criteria
To apply for an internship you must meet ALL the following eligibility and application criteria:
- be a full-time tertiary student who will be continuing full-time tertiary studies in the forthcoming year
- be studying ICT, cyber or information security, engineering, mathematics or other STEM fields
- have completed 2 years of tertiary study before commencing the Internship Program
- obtain a recommendation and endorsement from their course convener
- be an Australian citizen
- successfully obtain a Defence BASELINE security clearance
- Describe a technical project or challenge you have undertaken that demonstrates your technical ability, research skills and critical thinking (up to 400 words).
- Provide details about relevant experience acquired through course-related industry placements, other relevant industry experience or self-initiated development (up to 250 words).
- Describe the contribution that your engagement in this program could make and the expectations you have in the program (up to 250 words)
- Provide a current academic transcript and curriculum vitae
- Apply by 24 July 2017 for the 2017–18 summer Internship Program
- Contact the ASD Information Security Hub if you have questions or would like to be notified of future programs.
- Email ASD Information Security Hub or phone (02) 6266 5002
The Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) offers work experience placements within the Defence Work Experience Program at the ASD Information Security Hub. ASD is the national authority for information security and offers students experience working on information security research projects on:
- hardware and software
- networking technologies
- wireless networks.
Preference will be given to senior high school students who can demonstrate high achievement in mathematics and science and show a keen interest in information technology. Students with an aptitude for discovering how technology works rather than the use of technology will be considered favourably.
The duration and timing of work experience placements is negotiable.
All placements are in Canberra. Students from interstate are welcome to participate but are responsible for their own travel and accommodation.
At the conclusion of each student's work experience, supervisors, work experience coordinators and parents will be invited to a presentation of students' achievements during the placement.
Learn more and apply now for the Defence Work Experience Program at the ASD Information Security Hub.