- You must be an Australian citizen.
- You must be prepared to undergo a comprehensive security assessment covering the past 10 years or from your 16th birthday, whichever is greater.
- Your application must address the selection criteria in the information pack.
- The Australian Public Service Commission and Defence APS Careers provide extensive advice on applying for public sector jobs.
- Be discreet discussing your application. Most people only need to know that you have applied for a job with Defence.
Our selection process
Once you have submitted your application and it has been assessed, we will be in contact to let you know if you have been successful or unsuccessful in progressing to the next stage of the selection process.
If you are successful, the next stage may include a panel interview (in person or on the phone) and/or a technical assessment, which will be confirmed prior to interview.
At interview, you will be assessed against the Integrated Leadership System (ILS).
Your nominated referees will be asked to confirm relevant work history.
If you are found to be the preferred applicant, you will be asked to undergo a security assessment.
Unsuccessful applicants may request a review of the employment decision within 14 days from gazettal of the outcome on APS Jobs.gov.au:
- external applicants - through the Office of the Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security
- internal applicants - through the Office of the Director-General of ASD.
- A comprehensive security assessment is a prerequisite for all ASD staff.
- Security assessments measure your personal integrity and suitability to work in a high security environment.
- Security assessments involve a background check and a psychological assessment.
- Both parts comprise a questionnaire and an interview.
- The background check will review your personal, social, residential, employment, financial and criminal history.
- The psychological assessment determines whether you have the professional capacity to work in a high security environment. No feedback will be provided on the outcome of the psychological assessment process.
- Security assessments may take some time to complete; successful applicants will be provided with further information at later stages of the selection process.