ISM – Information Security Manual
The Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) produces the Australian Government Information Security Manual (ISM). The manual is the standard which governs the security of government ICT systems. It complements the Protective Security Policy Framework.
ASD was formerly known as the Defence Signals Directorate (DSD). We were renamed in May 2013 to reflect our national role in cyber security, disaster response and national security. The renaming did not affect our functions, powers or accountability. All references in legislation to DSD should be taken to be references to ASD.
- The ISM comprises three documents targeting different levels within your organisation, making the ISM accessible to more users and promoting information security awareness across government.
- Use the ISM order form to request printed copies of the manual.
- Additional ISM resources including change summaries and system control checklists are available from the members-only area of OnSecure or on request.
- The ISM was called ACSI 33 until 2005.
- Contact us for enquiries, advice and services.